Ocala Forest 4x4 Trails

Covering Lake, Seminole, Orange, and Osceola counties.

Moderator: Clan Riffster

Ocala Forest 4x4 Trails

Postby EEKJeep » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Hey, all!

I noticed while searching for some "rougher terrain" caches that there are a lot of 4x4 trails through Ocala. Does anyone have access to some maps or links to their Jeep trails? Any info would be greatly appreciated & help me keep my sanity--I haven't hit the woods with my Jeep since moving down from PA in July and I feel the need!!

Thanks!
EEKJeep
Traditional Tracker
Traditional Tracker

Re: Ocala Forest 4x4 Trails

Postby Cache & Keri » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:18 pm

I would suggest that check out the Ocala Jeep Club. They are a great bunch of folks and several would be willing to lead you in the right direction for obtaining current maps. There are a few geocachers on the site.

Also, you might consider posting on the Northeast Florida Geocaching Association (NEFGA) website. They have about 20 people with jeeps that are also geocachers and should have information that would be valuable to you. There are regularly scheduled jeeping/geocaching events most every month.
Cache & Keri
Event Evader
Event Evader

Postby isonzo karst » Fri May 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Any place in Florida where there is hunting, there will be a map on the FWC (hunting) regulations brochure for that region.
Detail varies wildly. The 2009 hunt brochures aren't ready yet, here's a link to the 2008 brochure landing page.

http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/Hunt_WMABro ... Season.htm

Look for Ocala on that page, and download the brochure. The last page is the map. There is likely much more open track then the map details, but at least you'll have a gps and a clue...
isonzo karst
CITO Seeker
CITO Seeker

Postby EEKJeep » Fri May 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Great!! Thank you both! :D
EEKJeep
Traditional Tracker
Traditional Tracker

Postby Jackie and Bob » Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 am

Just remember when you are out there to stay on trails/roads that are numbered. If you see a road with no sign it has been closed to vehicles. North of 40 is pretty much taken care of with signage now. South of 40 is currently in flux. It is changing almost daily. For really good maps (probably cost a few bucks) there is a ranger station in Salt Springs. I've never stopped at another one on 19 at the southern entrance to the forest to see what kind of maps they have there. There are a few caches out there that were placed as drive up caches. You might have to walk to some of them now, since they closed some of the trails/roads.
I know where I'm going even if it looks like I don't.
Jackie and Bob
Virtual Visitor
Virtual Visitor

Postby sandhill6061 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:59 pm

I have about ten megs of pdf files for phase I and a little less for phase II. If you use Garmins map source I also have about 60% of the signage as waypoints along with tracks. Since I'm on dial up we would have to set up a meeting time and place. Bring a flash drive.
sandhill6061
Traditional Tracker
Traditional Tracker

Return to Central (Orlando)